Round 1 West v North

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Round 1 West v North Empty Round 1 West v North

Post by aldo russian on Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:53 am

Well, considering the dire predictions of where we were going to finish on the ladder this year I wasn't expecting to see us playing at Adelaide Oval in 2020 but here we are. (Is this our first game there since the 2015 Grand Final?)
It's very hard, without extensive trial game form, to know exactly what to expect from us, except that maybe we'll be quicker than last year. But will we be fitter? Will the disposal skills of our serial offenders have improved?
And what will our side look like? Who debuts? Koster and Boyle presumably, and maybe Duvall. Anyway, I think our best game plan is to kick it in the direction of Riley Thilthorpe.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 834

Back to top Go down

Round 1 West v North Empty Re: Round 1 West v North

Post by Oldfella on Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:03 pm

Aldo, I believe we are a much more mature team than recent years and have picked some unknown but good value players so I expect a win

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 705
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:04 pm

We should come up with a decent team, but Gavin is saying we'll need to be patient and he's saying that for a reason.

Our defence should be OK, with Ryan, Dunkin, Levicki, Hill, etc.

Forward should benefit from Tom Keough being there and Riley, while Koster will add some pace. Willsmore and Waite on the wings are good, but I worry about midfield depth after Stevens and Schiller.

Hope I've forgotten one or two after such a long break.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1311

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:33 pm

Good to hear that Hugh Haysman is back.
Will help with our midfield.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:50 pm

We have a number of new players to the club.
1. A number from other SANFL Clubs that are unproven
2. A number of young players that should get opportunities this year.
3. A number of unknown players from other leagues around the country.

We are coming about against a side that has recruited extremely well, I really hope we can be competitive.

I agree with other posters that our defence should be ok.
I’m concerned about our midfield as we haven’t recruited anyone of note.
I think we should play 3 tall forwards, Keough,Tilthorpe and McKenzie, it would really help young Tilthorpe I believe.

I think we may have 5 new players playing their first game.
McKenzie,Boyle,Koster,Duval and Taylor

Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 654

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:22 pm

West Adelaide could have as many as four new faces when it tackles North Adelaide at Adelaide Oval on Sunday.
The Bloods have added leg speed with the addition of former Glenelg forward Josh Koster and Adelaide wingman Jordon Boyle, who both played in last year’s SANFL Preliminary Final.
Koster will start in attack while Boyle is likely to play an attacking role from a wing with his neat left-foot kick.
NT signing Mitch Taylor has been named at half-back while Mitch Duval could make the jump from Unley Jets in Division 2 of the Adelaide Footy League to SANFL League level after being named on the extended interchange bench.
West captain Tom Keough will start in attack with exciting AFL Draft prospect Riley Thilthorpe while Josh Schiller has been named in the middle after enduring a lengthy absence last year due to a shoulder reconstruction.
Wingman Nathan Batley will play his 100th League game and 50th for West after making his debut for Woodville-West Torrens in Round 6 of 2011.

F: Koster, Thilthorpe, Karpany
HF: Johnson, Keough, P. Fairlie
C: Willsmore, Waite, Boyle
HB: Dunkin, Levicki, Taylor
B: Anderson, Ryan, Hill

R: Parrella, K. Stevens, Schiller
INT: Batley, Cleeland, Duval, Hupfeld, Laube, May, B. Turner
MILESTONE: Nathan Batley (100 games)
NEW: Jordon Boyle (Adelaide/Central District), Mitch Duval (Unley), Josh Koster (Glenelg), Mitch Taylor (Wanderers)

Reserves
F: Ellem, Cleeland, Martin
HF: Davidson, McKenzie, Morrish
C: Mead, Allan, Forbes
HB: Lynch, Elliot, Laube
B: Sareen, Majok, Duval
R: Taverner, R. Stevens, C. Fairlie
INT: Groom, Nield, Wooldridge, Harris, Pearce, Kirk, G. Turner

Under-18
van Kempen, Bock, Desira, Laudato, De Cesare, Gilbert, White, van den Berg, Couroupis, Dunkin, Henty-Smith, Hodge, Sherlock, Faulkner, Midwinter, Young, Pridham, Richardson, Singleton, Chamberlain, Kelly, Kennedy, Hahn, Talbot, Virgo, Long, Sinderberry, O’Connor-Dawkins.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 558

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:49 pm

Can somebody please advise why both Hannigan and Rana haven’t been named in the ressies. ARE THEY BOTH INJURED?

Interesting to see Gibson Turner named on the interchange Bench for the ressies.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:38 pm

Having finished bottom, can we really climb up the ladder with the inclusion of only 3 new players?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:44 pm

Aldo,

I agree with you.
Interestingly EIGHT of our recruits are playing reserves.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:43 pm

Have to say, our team looks a bit thin.
Levicki holding down CHB is a concern. Can play but seems to get injured too often. If we get a couple of injuries, we are in even more trouble..
Disappointing that Gibson is not playing league football for whatever reason..
It’s time for guys like Hupfield and Cleeland to have an impact!!
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:53 pm

High quality win to the Reserves 7.13(55) to 14.2(86).

We kicked goals due to where the shots were taken from --- a very very good performance of team skills.

While fairly all played well there is so real good footballers in this side putting pressure on the seniors IMO

Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 705
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:42 pm

Good first quarter. Waite, Johnson  & many others playing well. Good pressure, but Nkister off injured. Schiller not playing, my be out for some time.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:21 pm

It looked like getting away from us, but we fought back well. Liking Sam May, Laube & other youngsters.

Can we maintain it.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:49 pm

One umpire dominating the game with free kicks in front of goal.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by redblack32 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:19 pm

Who has been standing hender?
redblack32
redblack32

Number of posts : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:20 pm

Disappointing to fall away after a good first half.
North are a quality side. They recruited well and will challenge for the flag.
Our effort was there but Norths use of the ball by hand and foot was a class above.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:04 pm

Bit of a regulation loss in the end. If we accept that, then we're well off the pace.

Well done to Nathan Batley in his 100th game and Boyle looks a nice player.

Some players flashed in and out of the game and showed glimpses. The defence was in under seige a lot, although we looked to have plenty if inside 50's. Fitness didn't seem an issue, at least.

Looked like too many short kicks and not enough run. North's classier players just looked a bit better than ours.

Perhaps a few to come back in.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:30 pm

I think North’s ball use was the difference by hand and foot. We tried but in the end we weren’t good enough.
Boyle is certainly player and our best in my book. Batley was also very good.
I thought our defence struggled and what was alarming to me was our lack of run from our back 50. Therefore our ball movement was to slow moving into our forward line.

Last edited by Lachlan on Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred on Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:54 pm

First game of the season is always a bit of an unknown but it looks like we will be competitive while lacking in manpower and skills. But full marks for effort today.
North’s strong defensive game was first rate forcing us into error after error. We played a short game, silly little kicks and handballs to a player flatfooted and too close. It looked as though the ball was overinflated the number of times we took possession and the ball bounced straight out. Poor decisions made under intense pressure is the mark of an inexperienced team.
We had plenty of the ball but were out-tackled by a ferocious opposition. Fitness seemed fine. We ran out the last Q chucking the ball around to try and make something happen but that simply resulted in just more mistakes.
Our forwards let us down. Thilthorpe, Karpany and Keough struggled all day with low possession games but Hupfeld stood up with his 4 goals.
Boyle, Batley, Dunkin, Hill and Willsmore all played well. Koster went off early with a leg injury and didn’t come back. Hope Schiller injury is not serious.
North had a key forward, Hender, 7 goals, and he was the difference between the two teams. North got a lot of their goals from free kicks, many of which were the result of our ill-discipline. Game was over umpired.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:05 pm

Good summary as always, B & R.

Our effort was certainly there all day and the fitness level looked good, as we finished each quarter well. We need more run from defence, but I'm not sure who could come in to give us that. I thought Andre won the hit outs, but with Kaine getting a lot of attention, we struggled in the midfield. Murray Waite started well, but was quiet after that.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:32 pm

One player not mentioned so far who I thought was our 2nd best (behind Boyle) was Isaac Johnson. Worked hard and mostly effectively all day.
Sadly though this game just looked like an extension of the 2019 season to me, which I guess isn't surprising seeing the personnel are essentially the same. North's ability to move the ball from end to end was clearly superior to ours from very early on.
Effort was good (as it should be), discipline, tackling and decision-making wasn't.
You'd like to think we're a chance against Central though.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum