Round 2 v Central

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Round 2 v Central Empty Round 2 v Central

Post by Bloodntars on Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:22 pm

WEST

West Adelaide will be hoping Josh Schiller can boost its midfield rotation against Central at Adelaide Oval.

Schiller, who managed just four League games last year due to a shoulder reconstruction, was a late withdrawal in Round 1 with a back complaint.

The 27-year-old is one of five potential inclusions to the Bloods’ 22, with former Sturt running machine Ed Allan a possible AAMI Rookie, along with Unley’s Mitch Duval.

Former Glenelg goalsneak Josh Koster will miss 3-4 weeks after straining his hamstring in the opening minutes against North last Sunday while Keelan Laube was omitted.

F: K. Stevens, Thilthorpe, Waite

HF: Johnson, Hupfeld, Batley

C: Willsmore, Keough, Boyle

HB: Dunkin, Levicki, Taylor

B: Anderson, Ryan, Hill

R: Parrella, B. Turner, Karpany

INT: Schiller, Cleeland, Duval, Allan, Kirk, P. Fairlie, May

IN: Schiller, Allan, Duval, Cleeland, Kirk

OUT: Koster (hamstring), Laube

NEW: Edward Allan (Sturt), Mitch Duval (Unley)

I think Laube is a bit unlucky to lose his spot. Thought he was ok, especially early. Taylor probably lucky to hold on.
Bloodntars
Bloodntars

Number of posts : 120

Back to top Go down

Round 2 v Central Empty Re: Round 2 v Central

Post by RODH2 on Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:32 pm

Thanks B&t, always listening here!!
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 191

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:51 pm

With Central's outs, we must fancy our chances tomorrow.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:07 pm

Best quarter of football we've played for a long time.

Centrals absolutely woeful.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1341

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:32 pm

Missing too many shots which is allowing them back in the game!
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 387

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:46 pm

Half Time
17 shots to 8
26 inside 50s to 13
and we lead by 24 points.
How are they still in it😤
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:51 pm

Contender for worst quarter of football.

Centrals our best friend, terrible turnovers.

We've had 70 more possessions for a 4 goal lead.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:32 pm

Well........
Extremely disappointing result.
In the end we were lucky to get a draw.
Game should have been over at half time.
As usual James Boyd destroyed us. He has done that for 10 years.
It would seem that we will be at the foot of the ladder again this year, which is pretty much the norm isn’t it.......
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky on Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:41 pm

It is the norm and basically I have had enough there are better thing's to do than watch crap like that
blacky

Number of posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:47 pm

That was a win wasted. We'd have to be disappointed to surrender a lead of 6 or 7 goals and be lucky to draw.

Centrals were terrible most of the day, but we allowed them to stay in the game.

Disappointing
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by MR BLOODHOUND on Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:14 pm

Very disappointing after a great start . The backline struggled all day with poor checking and cohesion .
MR BLOODHOUND
MR BLOODHOUND

Number of posts : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:36 pm

At the 23rd Minute Mark of the 3rd quarter, Fairlie kicked a goal to put us 30 points up. 6 minutes later we led by 11 points.
That’s not good enough..
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:17 pm

It’s so disappointing and frustrating to let a team like Centrals back in the game. They are a very ordinary footy side as are we.
It shows we have a lack of self belief and our bill use isn’t up to SANFL level.
Our defence really struggled, Levicki,Dunkin and Taylor fumbled far to much.
Taylor is like a rabbit in head lights.

Our midfield After half time struggled especially in the centre square.
We simply don’t have enough quality SANFL players.

I honestly thought we would win given the players Centrals had missing.

I watched the ressies yesterday and I think Duval must come in.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 687

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred on Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:35 pm

Westies played some good footy for about 20 minutes in the first Q. They had a handy lead at Q time and then proceeded to play some of the most frustrating, inefficient, dumb and poor standard footy for the rest of the game.
We had more of the ball than Centrals but wasted opportunities through poor decision making. Our game-plan is to play on at all times and to always look for the quick handball to the nearest player – this doesn’t have to be a teammate it could be the opposition. As long as we handball at every opportunity.
Centrals were well below strength but they out-ran and out-tackled us for the last 3 Qs of the game and their constant pressure forced us into error. And when we wern’t under pressure we stuffed up anyway. Personally, I’m sick of watching a team so lacking in basic footy skills. Stats are meaningless if you get 20 touches and give half of them straight back to the opposition.
Batley our best. Parella battled hard all day and won the rucks.
There are a handful of players that are not up to it. Some of them have played over 50 games but are yet to take the next step. How many chances do they get? Changes need to be made for next week until we find a combination that works well together.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 187

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:54 pm

At the end of the day, I think we all knew that this would be another poor season. Our recruiting has been abysmal for 3 or 4 years.
From the off season, Boyle looks like the only new player that will have an impact.
I agree with other posters, we have far too many players that aren’t up to it.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:08 pm

We all agree it’s going to be a long season, therefore when you get an opportunity like the one we had today you simply must take it.

Yes our recruiting has been very poor and our midfield is a MAJOR CONCERN.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:56 pm

The worry is that I'd rate Central as a very ordinary side.

We dominated possession, dominated clearances and led by 39 points. Some of our footy was good, but way too many turnovers and poor decisions.

Hugh Haysman was good in the Ressies, but we need to bolster our midfield substantially.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:10 pm

Blackandred I agree wholeheartedly.
It's infuriating but the same players who were poor last week were poor again this week. They keep getting picked though.
I also think the coach has got to be more proactive on game day. Midfielders who aren't finding the footy shouldn't be left on the ball for long stretches of the game. Players who consistently turn it over don't seem to suffer any consequences, they remain on the ground in the same position and continue to make these errors. We seem to have only one move up our sleeve when it's turned pear-shaped and that is to put Keough on the ball.
Again, it was so predictable. We were 4 goals up at half time but weren't looking like winners, and so it turned out. What we're doing isn't working and needs to change.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:33 pm

Turner, Waite, May, Kirk,Hupfeld and Karpanny all very quiet.

Haysman has to play next week. Kirk to be dropped. Agostino came off injured yesterday so he won’t be promoted.
Cleeland was also very good in the ressies. Laube didn’t play ressies due to injury.

Our midfield in the ressies was ordinary yesterday.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:25 am

Yes we lost.
Yes we gave up a big lead.
Yes we turned the ball over.
But all would of said once Central got in front we would be beaten by 5 goals.

We MUST give some credit to the team to come back and at least get a draw out of it.

Last years team would have stopped a lot quicker and then given up and be beaten by 10 goals.
I am not saying yesterday was acceptable but we must give some credit to the players.
If we all just bag the players game after game we will get nothing out of it.
Lets show some positiveness, encouragement and support  for the players busting their backsides off.  

As always,
GO THE BLOODS
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by cuban on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:48 am

The draw was disappointing no doubt, but I have to admit I am quite pleasantly surprised with our start to the season.
I didn't have much hope at all going in - we lost several very good and experienced players but didn't recruit any experienced players.
It looks like Westies are starting almost from scratch with a young team and I was expecting us to get smashed every week.
However, that is not happening.
I think Gavin has got us playing fast, free flowing footy and I think it’s the best style we have played since 2015.
In both games this year our starts have been fantastic – we have easily won centre clearances, moved the ball fast and clean. These kids have talent!
Unfortunately, it doesn’t last. In the second halves they are slowing down a touch and start making errors which cost us goals.
That allowed centrals to catch up and North to run away last week.
To me it looks like these kids are still building up their fitness levels and experience base and have some way to go to compete for the whole game. If we had one player that was able to keep up with Hender last week it may have been a different result.
I think we are going to surprise a few teams this year and I can see us becoming a very good team in the near future, especially once the players can keep up the game plan for longer periods of time.
The trick for Gavin now is to try and keep these kids together for the next few years so they can grow together and hopefully turn into a formidable team.
And we just have to be a little more patient – it sucks but I definitely have hope now!
cuban
cuban

Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:51 am

Cuban - When you say ‘kids’ what players are you referring to?
We don’t have any from my point of view apart from Thilthorpe who leaves at seasons end. Isaac Johnson looks a player but most of our side have players that have been around for years.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by cuban on Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:12 am

Wolf Pack wrote:Cuban - When you say ‘kids’ what players are you referring to?
We don’t have any from my point of view apart from Thilthorpe who leaves at seasons end. Isaac Johnson looks a player but most of our side have players that have been around for years.

Haha, yeah at my age anyone under 30 seems like a kid!
But I think the majority of the team are 23 or under - Karpanny, Boyle, Hupfield, Waite, Kirk, Parrella, Fairlie, Johnson, Dunkin, Ryan, May.
Turner's 24 and Wilsmore 25.
Thats a lot of "kids" of similar age and none of them have played a lot of games but they are showing a lot of potential.
I think there is going to be a lot of improvement if we can keep them together.
cuban
cuban

Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:34 am

mikeme wrote:
If we all just bag the players game after game we will get nothing out of it.
Lets show some positiveness, encouragement and support  for the players busting their backsides off.  

I think posters should be free to critique the team's performance, otherwise we're left with a pretty bland site. Not everyone's as upbeat about how we're going as some posters on here are. Personally I will always encourage players who give us some hope for the future, but not all of them do that for me at the moment.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:03 pm

I’m not here to bag players. I know they give their all but I just question where we are headed as a team.
We won five games in 2017.
We won eight games in 2018.
We won only two games last year.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum