West V South

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

West V South Empty West V South

Post by Thiele on Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:25 pm

EST

West Adelaide has welcomed back key utility Dallas Willsmore for it match against South at Flinders University Stadium.

Recruited from Hawthorn, Willsmore has overcome a groin strain after being a late withdrawal in Round 3.

He is one of four inclusions to the Bloods’ 25-man squad along with tall forward Jade Cleeland, possible debutant Tom Morrish (20, 179cm and 81kg) and premiership wingman Hugh Haysman.

Reliable midfielder Josh Schiller has been sidelined with an ankle injury.

F: Hupfeld, Thilthorpe, Karpany

HF: Willsmore, Keough, Johnson

C: Waite, May, Boyle

HB: Duval, Levicki, Dunkin

B: Anderson, Ryan, Hill

R: Parrella, K. Stevens, B. Turner

INT: P. Fairlie, Kirk, Morrish, Cleeland, Allan, Haysman, Batley

IN: Cleeland, Haysman, Morrish, Willsmore

OUT: Schiller (ankle)

Reserves
Agostino, Caruso, Ellem, Elliot, C. Fairlie, Forbes, Grant, Groom, Harris, Kelsh, Koster, Martin, McKenzie, Patterson, Pearce, Squire, J. Stevens, R. Stevens, Taverner, G. Turner, White, Wooldridge

Under-18
F: T. Faulkner, Young, Richardson
HF: Hahn, Rundle, White
C: Henty-Smith, Virgo, Kennedy
HB: Van den Berg, Sherlock, Hodge
B: Gilbert, Midwinter, McArdle

R: Heitmann, Chamberlain, Couroupis
INT: Boughen, Desira, Pridham, Iuliano

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 578

Back to top Go down

West V South Empty Re: West V South

Post by firstblood on Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:39 pm

We are pleased to advise that South Adelaide's Covid management plan has now been approved by SA Health, allowing them to have over 3000 spectators at the match tomorrow.

The following match entry details will therefore now apply:

·         Admission for all ticketed season membership holders

·         Members without match access and non-members can purchase tickets online by clicking here or at the gate.

·         For contact tracing, anyone purchasing tickets at the gate will need to provide contact details before entering the venue. This includes any unaccompanied minors (U18s)

·         Members with a barcoded membership card are not required to fill in the form as your details are recorded with the Club.

Under the Covid management plans, the one person per two square metre density rule will apply.

Once inside the ground, South Adelaide ask that you please adhere to social distancing of 1.5 metres, apply good hygiene protocols and please stay at home if you are unwell.

We are thrilled that more Bloods fans will be able to attend the game and cheer on the players.
firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 380
Job/hobbies : The light keeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:28 pm

A better second half shouldn't disguise being totally uncompetitive in the first. We trailed by about 7 goals at half time in a pretty timid display against a more coherent and confident opponent.

Losing Josh Ryan early didn't help, but South toyed with us until half way through the third quarter.

Jordan Boyle was again good, Tom Keough stood up when required and young Duval took 11 marks and could hold his head high.

The game was over at half-time, so I'm discounting the second half except to say we at least fought it out.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1341

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:43 pm

Lee

I agree with you assessment we were simply non competitive for the first 3 quarters. The last Qrt South closed up shop.

Our ball use once again was poor, we simply don’t have enough Players that can kick. We had more possessions than South, but we had a WHOPPING 19 less inside 50’s which tellS me our ball use was totally ineffective.
Secondly we are to slow with our ball movement from defence and this has been a problem all year. Dunkin can run and carry and Duval in only his third game is the Intercept player and he did that very well today.
The rest of our defenders need to take more risks.

Our Forward line has too many players that don’t hit the scoreboard.

Jordan Boyle was again a great contributor he played Schiller’s role with Haysman Coming into the side to play on the wing.
Mitch Duval was very high in our best players, playing in only his third game he has made the step up to SANFL football very quickly. Last year he was playing in the Ammo’s.
Kaine Stevens was as usual very good.

I hope Josh Ryan is ok we badly need him next week.

Very disappointing performance today our worst for the year.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 687

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred on Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:59 pm

We had a lot more of the ball than South but it was one of those days that we decided to go sideways so much so that if the goalposts were on the wing we would have won easily.
Logan Hill didn’t play and Josh Ryan went down with a shoulder injury early so we were plugging holes all day. Keough and Hupfield spending time down back. South were more efficient with their ball movement while we wasted chances through fumbles, mistakes and turnovers. It took us until halfway through the third Q until we got our act together but the game was well gone by this point.
If there was one positive to take from this very forgettable afternoon at North Victor Harbor oval, it was that we have recruited well. Boyle was our best. Ed Allen was in everything and Duval is a genuine league footballer.
Does anyone have stats on free kicks? We were sloppy with our attack on the body but we got a rotten deal from the umps (again!!)
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 187

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:35 pm

Well, the umpires didn't disguise a lamentable first half, and if South relaxed after half-time, then they had the opportunity to do so. Must try harder.... Weak effort.
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 191

Back to top Go down

Post by cuban on Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:03 am

Well that was a big step backward!
How frustrating was it to watch all that sideways and backward kicking!
We have been playing fast attacking and aggressive footy this year but not yesterday.
We went back to playing how we played the last few years, where we finishing at the bottom of the ladder.
I hope that was a deliberate strategy to combat South Adelaide that didn't work and will be dumped for the rest of the season!
At least we kicked the last few to make the score respectable. The last few years that would have been a 10 goal plus loss.
cuban
cuban

Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:22 am

This might be unpopular, but our history has been that we've tolerated mediocrity far too easily. I'm sure that Gavin would have been livid with our first half and South's Coach would have concentrated on their poor last quarter.

I think we've had too many 'better second halves' when the game is already over. Too often, criticism is seen as somehow 'disloyal' and frowned upon, but if we're to be successful, we have to be harder on ourselves.

After last week, we were entitled to pay our money and expect a decent contest and we got the opposite. We need to be demanding better and what I'm saying I hope would be no different to what the Coach would be saying.

We've put in a big effort every game this year, until yesterday, but went backwards.

Second halves like yesterday pad stats and cover up lack of performance when it mattered.

I'll be there next week as always, but let's be honest about our performances and learn from them.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:47 am

I'm a bit more optimistic than others probably only because this is the first game for the year that I have seen due to the Covid restrictions. To me at least we are better than last year. Yes we went sideways,backwards far too much but where I sat that was because the play was more often than not conducted down one side of  the ground and we had no where else to go. Why can't our forwards lead to the open expanses down the center line instead of a contested pack which inevitably ends in a turnover?
That said we have picked up two handy recruits in Boyle and Duval and are better for it. We need still to recruit strongly 3 or 4 seasoned senior players for next year. We are a work in progress and are going to put in bad periods at times. So far this year, the Eagles, North,and South look like to be the sides to beat this year. Well we have had our colours lowered by two of them on their decks.
We can beat Norwood this week at home. I think we will.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 205

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:00 am

We've won 2 games out of 15 across the three grades this year. We've won 1 game at League level in 12 months. For a 'results-based business' these are very worrying numbers. The truth of it is we have a dearth of talent at the club.

Saturday was abominable, we looked like an amateur league side against a SANFL side, and seemed unable to change, adapt, or try anything to reverse South's dominance. The fact that Curran and Highmore have taken 24 marks between them against us in the last two weeks shows how easy it is to pick off many of our forward 50 entries.

aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:56 am

Pretty hard to argue with these numbers. There has been no good news at Westies for a couple of years now. I'm pretty sure Gavin is not the perfect coach, but it is interesting that there has been no negativity about the job he is trying to do. It seems to me the problem lies elsewhere. Very worrying situation.
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 191

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:10 pm

There has been no good news at our club since our premiership year.
Not really sure where our club is heading...
Why can teams like Norwood, South, Eagles and Sturt remain around the mark year after year yet we can’t get anywhere near competitive?
If it’s purely a financial issue (meaning we can’t recruit) than we are stuffed !

Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 387

Back to top Go down

Post by cuban on Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:16 am

Yeah it's pretty frustrating as a supporter!
In 84 we miss the finals, same with 92. 2004 we finish 5th then fall to bottom. At least in 2013 we finished 3rd, only to go near bottom in 14.
Then the same 2016.
It's like we get to a GF and thats good enough - no need to bother following up for the next few years.
I'm really hoping Gavin's plan is to assemble a talented group of youngsters that will be our core team for the next several years and will give us some consistent success.
cuban
cuban

Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:09 am

cuban, very good comment IMO

My thoughts are that every time we have a good season it is built of the back of a team of good players built up over several years plus a couple of quality recruits but then most of them are at the stage that they retire thus we start the rebuild process again (and again) ------ hick ups along the way is that young potential long term players are drafted.

As told to me by a former CEO and backed by some comments on this site from Lee our issue is that we have great difficulty in recruiting with one of the main differences between us and some other clubs being meaningful jobs for player & partner from sponsors & supporters ---- not sure how we get over this

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 714
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:28 am

My book goes into the discussions put up by posters above.

If you haven't ordered a book, pledge now (not charged until delivery, I think).

It goes into all the questions you want answered.

If you're a Bloods supporter, it will be an essential book.

http://tiny.cc/flagsspoonsknives

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum