RECRUITING COMMITTEE

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

RECRUITING COMMITTEE  Empty RECRUITING COMMITTEE

Post by Lachlan on Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:24 pm

Can we please Recruit players that can kick the ball. We would be one of the worst kicking sides in the SANFL.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 687

Back to top Go down

RECRUITING COMMITTEE  Empty Re: RECRUITING COMMITTEE

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:02 pm

Let me tell you about the difficulties of recruiting.

Along with one other recruiter at Westies, I spent many hours watching videos of Tasmanian and NEAFL games. With the NEAFL games, we were mainly interested in 2 good on-ballers, but the more we watched, the more we were attracted to a young tall defender.

We did everything possible to land the player, but the eventually chose to go to South. We couldn't have done more and his reasons were understandable.

I watched him play against us on Saturday and he's a gun.

Thomas HIghmore.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1341

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:13 pm

Lee,

You are spot on Highermore was close to South’s best player.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:00 pm

So other clubs are looking at VFL players to sign before the deadline. North are looking at ex Westies player Matt Lobbe.
Are we looking at trying to get a player or two......
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 387

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:42 am

Wolf Pack wrote:So other clubs are looking at VFL players to sign before the deadline. North are looking at ex Westies player Matt Lobbe.
Are we looking at trying to get a player or two......

Hopefully about nine.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:54 pm

Aldo,

I would have thought 9 is about right.

It seems like a broken record, but we have been saying the same thing for the past 5 years.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by cuban on Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:07 am

I would be happy with 1 - a big forward who can take a contested mark and kick goals, someone who will contest when we have to bomb the ball forward. Keough needs to be our second forward.
Pretty hard to find someone like that though. Middleton was pretty close, pity he left.
Apart from that I think we need to try and keep this young group together and get games in to them. I don't think I have seen such a talented bunch of youngsters at Westies in a while!
cuban
cuban

Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:13 am

Posted this in another discussion but thought it was worthwhile posting again

My thoughts are that every time we have a good season it is built of the back of a team of good players built up over several years plus a couple of quality recruits but then most of them are at the stage that they retire thus we start the rebuild process again (and again) ------ hick ups along the way is that young potential long term players are drafted.

As told to me by a former CEO and backed by some comments on this site from Lee our issue is that we have great difficulty in recruiting with one of the main differences between us and some other clubs being meaningful jobs for player & partner from sponsors & supporters ---- not sure how we get over this.

Also worth highlighting comment from Lee posted above

Let me tell you about the difficulties of recruiting.

Along with one other recruiter at Westies, I spent many hours watching videos of Tasmanian and NEAFL games. With the NEAFL games, we were mainly interested in 2 good on-ballers, but the more we watched, the more we were attracted to a young tall defender.

We did everything possible to land the player, but the eventually chose to go to South. We couldn't have done more and his reasons were understandable.

I watched him play against us on Saturday and he's a gun.

Thomas HIghmore.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 714
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:06 am

Strut have signed Bennett a Ruckman from Werribee
I believe South have signed Hunter ( Ex Crows)a Ruckman from Williamstown
North may have signed Lobbe.

WHY CAN’T WE ATTRACT PLAYERS FROM THE VFL.
It really irks me so much.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by bloodsaint on Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:01 am

Id say $$$.

Also I'm not sure what deals these guys are signing.

If we are looking at the long term, is there any benefit signing them if they are only coming for remaining 8-9 games and then head back to Vic for 2021????
bloodsaint
bloodsaint

Number of posts : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by bloodsaint on Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:03 am

I will defend the recruiting committee a little here.

I have been involved in recruiting a long time - not at this level - but I'd imagine its similar any club/level you are trying to recruit for.

Its a tough gig. Players will play you off against others and it becomes very draining trying to "suck up" so to speak to players over and over to get their signature.

What I have found if you can break the dam wall and get one "big" signing it usually opens the floodgates.

Hopefully they can do this over this summer.

The other danger of signing guys to short term deals just for this season, is do you jeopardise the future/development of the guys on the cusp who get put back to the reserves? They may get disillusioned and leave at years end. Then you have not only the guys who came for the short term, also the guys on the cusp leaving and you get into an even bigger hole.

All in all recruiting is just about the hardest gig in footy.
bloodsaint
bloodsaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:28 am

I’m making an observation and I to have been involved in recruiting and Coaching for 20 years at an Ammo’s club.

The facts are across the 3 grades we have won 2 games and for a performances based Business that is SIMPLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

So we need to be planning for next year. I wouldn’t be signing players to a short term contract either given the above. And who’s to say the players signed by those clubs I have mentioned haven’t been signed to a long term contract
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:53 pm

There are too many excuses.
We have the weakest squad in the comp by a fair margin.
Most of our league side would not make it at the other 7 clubs.
I thought players were not receiving payments this year....
Too many of our ex players who come back to SANFL play for other clubs
I disagree that signing players this year would jeopardise player development. Half of our side isn’t up to league standard anyway..
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 387

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:15 pm

I agree Wolf Pack.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post by bloodsaint on Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:31 pm

Not making excuses, but reality is with recruiting if you have a 10% strike rate of who you speak to its not a bad return.

I dont know the facts of who & how many our recruiters speak to.

And agree our results for a long time have not been good enough.

Yes there is no payments this year - but it makes you wonder why a bloke living in Vic would leave his state & job - surely these guys work - quarantine in SA and play 8-9 games of footy for nothing!!!!!!
bloodsaint
bloodsaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:51 pm

‘Wolf Pack’

I agree with you 100%. I was going to post something similar
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodsFireUp on Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:29 pm

Tough game for our boys tomorrow and our mids will have to adapt to read Baulderstone in the ruck. Big out for us with Ryan and our back 6 will have to contain Pinyon & Douglas. We have to shut down Panos & the run of Wilson if we are going to make any impact. With our backs to the wall for this game there is no better time for our boys to unite & fight. Let’s go Bloods & make this a hard fought contest.
BloodsFireUp
BloodsFireUp

Number of posts : 32

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum