West V Norwood

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

West V Norwood - Page 2 Empty Re: West V Norwood

Post by loppy19 on Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:43 am

TBH I was worried as soon as I saw the two teams run out, we looked undersized and more like an U20 team whereas Norwood looked like a proper team with fully developed men playing. The centre square match ups were a massive mismatch and I honestly recall us taking the ball out 2-3 times, but in a very messy manner as compared with Norwood who just ran it out at will and did what they liked.
I also lost count of how many times we found ourselves entering our forward 50 and hit a Norwood defender 10-15 metres away from any West player on the chest. Just absolutely confidence destroying. Combine that with poor skills in defence and lose checking that resulted in Norwood walking repeated goals in, left me packing my bags and leaving at 3/4 time (along with a few others of the sparse West supporters). I have lost count of how many times that has happened in the last few seasons to the point where I no longer attend much anymore, as everytime I come back hoping to see some hope and improvement, there is none.
Finally having 1 good season out of every 10 is a recipe for extinction.
loppy19
loppy19

Number of posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:46 pm

'Our current position isn't a surprise. My book tells why.'

Chapter 1 - How to fix Westies.
Chapter 2 - How to fix the China Virus.
Chapter 3 - affraid affraid affraid

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick it forward. It's the new game plan.
Second Team
Second Team

Number of posts : 488

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:52 pm

And to think I give you a nice mention in about Chapter 24.

I'm always too trusting.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1341

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:55 pm

I will double your sales. Send me 5 copies. Shocked Shocked Shocked

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick it forward. It's the new game plan.
Second Team
Second Team

Number of posts : 488

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:03 pm

I'll just send you a message that if you continue to stalk, you'll be out of here.

Back for 2 minutes and already doing so. Talk footy or leave.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:05 pm

Second Team wrote:I will double your sales. Send me 5 copies. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Pre-orders currently at $2750, with plenty of further support offered by some lovely people.

The book will definitely be published and I hope Bloods' fans will enjoy it.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:18 pm

S. T. would be loving how Westies are going atm.
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 191

Back to top Go down

Post by cuban on Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:33 am

Well, how can I be positive about that? Here goes:
Our team is still very young and inexperienced so you still have to expect a big gap between our best and worst performances and surely that was our worst?
Surely our players will learn a lot from that game.
Mitch Duvall.
Riley Thilthorpe did a good job in ruck, I think he beat Baulderstone for the taps - pity our mids couldnt capitalise on it. Actually that my be a negative too as Riley won't be with us next year.

Thats it, can't think of anything else.

I was going to try not to say anything negative but 3 thing really frustated me.
When the opposition is switching, you have to work hard to get to the other side and block them. We didnt.
Defenders can't get sucked up too far up the ground if they can't get back quick enough to defend.
Kicking into the forward 50 - just wow! Maybe if we had a genuine forward, somone that knows when and where to lead to, maybe, just maybe our guys will have a better idea of where to kick the footy to?
It was really embarrasing to watch these happen over and over in the same game, resulting in a lot of really easy goals to Norwood.

Maybe because the are young and inexperienced and dont have a the required fitness base yet, they are just getting tired and needed a week off? Would that count as a positve?

I had a lot of time for Ken K - he tries hard, usually as our only forward even though he is not tall, but I wonder if he is SANFL capable after his shot at goal from 30 out - with the breeze - that didnt even make the distance. I don't think this is the first time he has done that.
cuban
cuban

Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 am

Kirk and Karpany are NOT SANFL players. I understand the role of the small forward has changed, but surely one thing that hasn’t changed is forwards need to kick goals.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 687

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:54 am

Cuban, I was not at the game due to my health but watched it live on Digital Pass and another 2 times since.

I feel all your comments are fair and around the mark -- Ken K kicking is and has been a concern it is the major fail in his game and limits him as a League footballer.

One thing that I do not feel we are all not looking at or recognizing is the players missing various games through injury which seems to be experienced or senior players and honestly with (as you correctly identify) a very inexperience team makes the situation worse.

But many off the things we all put up is covering the fact that we have players getting League games who have shocking kicking skills. Sadly, with injuries they are all we have got.

I could be wrong and probably are but my impression of the U/17, Reserves & League is that we are playing very young teams that possibly are playing at too high a level for their experience/development at this time --- sadly I do not see any alternative.

Finally, I am a strong supporter of our Coach and it makes me feel so sad that as a club we are wasting his ability by not providing him with the necessary tools to do his job (read some of Lachlans comment to understand as he too is around the mark IMO

I have been supporting this club for around 65 years and will continue to do so and WILL SEE ANOTHER PREMIERSHIP BEFORE I DIE

Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 714
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by cuban on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:51 am

Oldfella, I didn't mention players missing because in my opinion we have only 3 really good players out, Parella (who has improved a lot this year), Ryan and Dunkin - maybe add Shiller.
I didn't think even adding those 3 in would have made much of a difference to that performance and if it did then it shows our depth is a real worry.
I didn't mention coach or game plan because I agree, I think Gavin is doing a good job - I don't think thats our problem.
I mentioned in earlier posts that I like the way we have been playing and I really think we have a talented core of youngsters - and I think the norwwod game shows how inexperienced they are.
I'm also about 80% sure the norwood game was the exception this year (along with the 1st half of the south game) because it was nothing like how we played our 1st 4 games this year.

As for recruiting, we have tried recruiting big name players in the past but it doesnt work. Sure it might get us off the bottom but it won't win us a premiership.

I still believe we have a promising future if we can keep Gavin and these kids together and get games into them. Then, when they are ready we should only selectively recruit target areas we are missing.
The only real hole in our team is a strong leading and marking forward.
I think this is our best chance for our next premiership but unfortunately we are going to have to suffer a few losses like this until they are ready.

cuban
cuban

Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:24 am

loppy19 wrote:TBH I was worried as soon as I saw the two teams run out, we looked undersized and more like an U20 team whereas Norwood looked like a proper team with fully developed men playing. The centre square match ups were a massive mismatch and I honestly recall us taking the ball out 2-3 times, but in a very messy manner as compared with Norwood who just ran it out at will and did what they liked.
I also lost count of how many times we found ourselves entering our forward 50 and hit a Norwood defender 10-15 metres away from any West player on the chest. Just absolutely confidence destroying. Combine that with poor skills in defence and lose checking that resulted in Norwood walking repeated goals in, left me packing my bags and leaving at 3/4 time (along with a few others of the sparse West supporters). I have lost count of how many times that has happened in the last few seasons to the point where I no longer attend much anymore, as everytime I come back hoping to see some hope and improvement, there is none.
Finally having 1 good season out of every 10 is a recipe for extinction.

I have to agree with you Loppy. Having one good season out of every ten IS a recipe for extinction.

If we don't win another game in 2020 (and if the last two weeks are anything to go by, then this is a distinct possibility) it will mean that over the 5 years since our GF win we will have won 16 out of 86 games.
If you don't include 2018 then it becomes 10 out of 68 AND if you don't include 2018 & 2017 then it becomes 5 out of 50.

In our first home game after beating last year's premiers, in perfect conditions, our deficiencies were exposed in every facet of the game, similar to last week's game against South. To make matters worse, Norwood supporters easily outnumbered the home crowd. Our membership, according to the website, is currently 1275. I wonder what the breakdown is. There must be a high number who don't attend games.

We simply don't have enough players who are up to SANFL standard. Our reserves are equally poor, having lost the last two games to teams which had not yet won a game.

Size does matter. As Loppy points out, we are  undersized. We need to recruit some quality talls. This might help to staighten us up a bit. We also need to find some forwards from somewhere.  The current team struggle to kick 10 goals, which isn't enough to win many games. Obviously this is going to be difficult, but I'm hopeful that Bonner and Siekman can find them.

If we don't start to have some on field success soon, then I fear that the club will struggle to survive. The CORE BUSINESS of a football club is to have on field success, the most important KPI.

Last edited by bruce cameron on Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred on Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:48 pm

I thought Ellem and Cleeland showed a bit on Saturday and A Anderson played his best game of the year. That said it was a disappointing and dispiriting performance but hardly unexpected given the inexperience of our side and the class of the opposition.
From memory, Norwood lost their first 3 games and suddenly they’re a premiership ‘contender’! Footy can be fickle sometimes. A hard team to match up on – the speed of Irra, Wilson and Barry, the skill of Grigg, Panos, Bastinac and Douglas. They are flushed with AFL talent. A team of hired guns. Who knows where their money comes from.
The challenge facing our coaching staff is to quickly turn things around. Eagles are the most miserly and defensively effective side in the league. They are really hard to score against. Morrish must be given a chance and Koster as well to provide some spark up forward.
A strong message must be sent to those players who, week after week, fail to deliver. Keeping them in the side is not working and simply rewarding poor performance.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 187

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:48 pm

Coaches Report

After some injuries in Round 6, it was pleasing to have Jade Cleeland back in the League team after strong performances in the Development team. It was also great to have another debutant in Hamish Ellem. Originally from NSW, Hamish joined the Club in preseason and has shown some really positive signs in the Development team. We came into the game wanting to improve on the previous week’s showing, with increased work rate and adherence to structures. Overall I thought offensively our first quarter was very good. We made good decisions with our possessed ball and found marks in our F50.

Unfortunately I thought we defended poorly. I thought we lacked composure in B50 and some errant handballs led to goals, whilst we were sloppy in locating our direct opponent when the ball came in B50 quickly. You simply cant do this against quality opponents. I thought our 2nd quarter was our best for the day. We won the clearances and had more F50 entries and scoring opportunities. Just two goals from six scoring shots (four set shots) was costly. Trailing by four goals at half time, I was confident that if we maintained our defensive intent we could close the gap over the final two quarters. We started the third quarter well and had five F50 entries in the first five minutes. Again we didn’t capitalize, due to poor skills. We held sway for another five minutes but unfortunately fell away from here. Norwood scored six unanswered goals. Our restarts were of biggest concern. Not only could we not get first use of the ball, we could not lay a tackle. This was the first time for the season that we were outsmarted here and we will learn from this. We went down 13 to 2 at restarts for the quarter. Our general pressure dropped as well- just 10 x 1%ers for the quarter (shepherds, tackles, smothers, hard chases, spoils). We aim for 25 per quarter. The last quarter was much more even. We were able to produce some very good offensive movement and scores, which is not always the case when you are down by a large margin, however we again struggled to curtail the oppositions scoring. Norwood’s very good foot skills exposed our inconsistent defensive intent. We simply needed to be at our defensive best for every play to force more turnovers or at least slow the opposition down. Overall, I was pleased that we were resilient in the final term after a poor showing in the third.

The final margin was 67 points however with a your squad, we continue to look for positives and signs of development. I thought both Jade and Hamish had solid performances. Riley Thilthorpe played as our lead ruckman and had some strong moments against a quality opponent. Aaron Anderson played a strong contested game across half-back and Lyndon Hupfeld held strong at full back (after playing all previous games up forward). Kaine Stevens was the best of our mids and Murray Waite had some great moments. Most pleasing for Murray is his finishing in front of goal.

Each week we are challenged by a particular area of our game that doesn’t reach the standard we set. This week I thought our skills were well below expectations and it proved costly on turnover. But there was also enough top end ball movement to reaffirm we are on the right track. Consistency presents as the defining challenge for the group.

S

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 578

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodsFireUp on Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:13 pm

Does anyone know the average age of the playing group? We definitely have a young group and I would assume average age around 23 -24? The playing group is certainly young in terms of experience and league games played. I do think if we can keep this group together and with more games under their belts we reap the rewards. Watching them against Norwood showed the difference in experience. If we look at the likes of the Suns in the AFL who were on the end of floggings with an inexperienced group and then to have success as young players gained experience. It’s going to be a frustrating season as this group continues to learn and mature as footballers. Let’s hope Gav is working on kicking efficiency since we have to many players that are unable to hit targets. Forward entries a major concern as players don’t seem to lower their eyes & hit up a lead. I hope that we take a few more risks and take the game on, playing a fast brand of footy for the remainder of the season. We have shown glimpses of this particularly against Glenelg and fast ball movement reaping rewards. Might be a good time to continue to blood some more younger players from ressies as we build for the future. We all know powerhouse SANFL clubs have bought success with $$$ and the difference is we are building it. Let’s give Gav the time to build it - I for one think he is and will. Time will tell.
BloodsFireUp
BloodsFireUp

Number of posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:53 am

Your comparison with the Suns is largely correct however they have recruited well over the summer in both draft picks and experienced players . We must do the same. You have to have on field leaders out there with the kids to show the way.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 205

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:06 pm

The facts are we haven’t been competitive since 2015 and things need to change.
It’s been 5 years and that is far to long for any sporting entity to be unsuccessful.

There are no more excuses, people are paid to get results and if you are at the bottom you need to worked harder than your competition.

I think it’s time that our Football Mgr advised us as to what the club is doing to become more competitive in 2021.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 687

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:35 pm

Just being young, and I'm not sure we're especially young anyway, doesn't mean you're going to end up being a good League footballer in time. If you can't kick when you're 20 you're unlikely to be able to when you're 25. Talent is what we lack, not experience.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post by blood bath on Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:31 pm

While not related to the on-field performance against Norwood, I emailed the club Monday with some off-field concerns I had in regards to COVID procedures not being adhered to by staff. Just thought with the number of pubs that were fined for breaching COVID rules there were some things that we need to tighten up on. Certainly wasnt critical of the club, rather tried to provide feedback for our next home game.

Guess what the response was that I got back?

Correct - none, not even an acknowledgement of my email.

For me, our off field performance is just as concerning as our on-field performance.

blood bath
blood bath

Number of posts : 59

Back to top Go down

Post by merrick1 on Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:01 pm

Blood bath Send message to WAYNE SIEKMAN and i bet you get an answer.
merrick1
merrick1

Number of posts : 23

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Got to agree the admin side of the club is appalling and has been for many years. Rarely get any response and when you do it is a half hearted one. Get the impression it is all to hard really. Just pay your dues and go away.
No wonder we struggle every year with finances and roll around the bottom in member numbers.
That said the members are fairly lethargic too. How many sent in donations a few months ago when asked? I did but I bet I was in the minority.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 205

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum